Awards, Scholarships & Financial Support
The Financial Aid and Student Loans Coordinator guides and provide information for students who are in need of financial assistance to attend post-secondary studies. See webpage for details.
- Awards & Scholarships includes:
- Apprentice Awards
- Entrance Awards
- Excellence Scholarships
- Fall Awards Program
- Exit Awards
- External Awards
- Indigenous Careers Award
- Government Student Loans
Keyano College also offers assistance through Alberta Works Learner Income Support Program
Students with an 80% average or higher (with no individual mark below a score of 70%) in five core Grade 12 courses will be awarded an Excellence Scholarship.
The scholarship is valued to the maximum tuition amount of $3,986.
To be qualified for the Excellence Scholarship, you must have:
- Graduated from a high school within the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo in 2018.
- Achieved an overall average of 80% or higher in 5 – 30 level courses with no individual mark lower than 70%:
- Social Studies
- One other 30 level course
- Complete the application for admission, be admitted and registered as a full time student by August 1.
It is pertinent to note that;
- No application is required for the scholarship.
- Prepare to write all diploma exams by the end of June.
- Eligibility will be reviewed starting August 7.
- Notification will be sent to recipients and accounts adjusted no later than August 15.
- Students are responsible to pay all associated fees.
- Scholarship is valued at the maximum tuition amount of 1 year domestic University Studies Tuition (estimated $3902 for 2018-2019).
- Successful recipients must be in good academic standing in the Fall 2018 term and remain registered as a full time student to receive the Winter 2019 term tuition portion of the scholarship.
- Although these awards will be applied to student accounts prior to the start of the semester, the recipients will be invited to attend the Fall Awards ceremony.
For further information please contact the Financial Aid & Student Award Coordinator at 780-791-4894 or [email protected]
Government Student Loans – Content
Both the federal and provincial governments have designed student financial assistance programs for Canadian citizens or permanent residents to pursue post-secondary education. This is provided in the form of loans and grants on the basis of demonstrated financial need. The level of financial assistance received will depend on evidence of financial need and on personal circumstances.
Students must apply through the province in which they permanenty reside (the last province in which 12 consecutive months as a non-full-time student was spent). The Alberta and Canada student loans as well as grants and bursaries will be awarded to all Alberta residents who apply for a student loan.
Government student loans are interest-free while you are attending full-time at a post-secondary institution. A confirmation of enrollment form must be completed for previous loans to remain in interest-free status. Copies of these forms are available in Keyano’s Office of the Registrar and must be signed by the Financial Aid & Student Awards Coordinator to confirm full-time study. Repayment of student loans begins six months after ceasing to be a full-time student. The interest rate and terms of repayment are set at the time of consolidation.
Students who have interest to apply for a loan should apply early for processing to be done on time. Processing can take four to six weeks and must be completed prior to the end of the semester to which the loan pertains.
Application forms for Alberta residents can be obtained from your local Canada Alberta Service Centre or through Keyano’s Office of the Registrar. Residents of most provinces can apply electronically